Tuesday, March 17, 2009
St. Patty's Day Hike
My friend Don Freeland and I went for our usual jaunt up to Coyote Peak today. It has been quite awhile since we have done this hike at Bothe Park. Don's wife Pat used to hike the Ritchie Creek Trail and be able to identify a great number of the plants there. Today, Don proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that he received a vast botanical education from his deceased wife. It certainly opened my eyes to a host of plants I had previously overlooked. I learned about the Trifoil plant, the Stream Orchid and the California Lilac (cera something ). The Stream Orchid was very rare according to Don. He mentioned that Bothe Park was one of the few places,that it may be found. We counted about 20 of them along the trail.It really feels good to make the time to go for these brief hikes ( all in all about 2hours total ).March is a beautiful month, with winter almost over and everything looking so green. The Vernal Equinox is in four days. Today I have a lot of hope for the future in spite of the economic downturn.
Now in honor of St.Patrick's Day, my brother posted this humorous list via email...
What it means to be Irish ( I have edited a few to my liking ).
1) You will never play professional basketball.
2) You can screen strangers better than a Nazi check point.
3) At least one of your cousins is a
fireman, cop, bar owner, funeral home owner
or holds political office. And you have at least one aunt who is a nun, or uncle
who's a priest.
4) You think you sing very well, and will sing louder to prove it.
5) You have no idea how to make a long story short!
6) There isn't a big difference between you losing your temper or killing
7) Much of your childhood meals were boiled. Instant potatoes were a mortal sin.
8) You have never hit your head on a ceiling, but you are not beyond wearing lifts in your shoes to make you look taller.
9) You spent a good portion of your childhood kneeling in prayer (Catholic guilt
10)"Irish Spring" serves as soap, deodorant and mouthwash after being caught swearing.
11) Raisins were added to a Irish soda bread recipe when they couldn't figure out what else to do with them.
12) You will be punched for no good reason...but all in good fun mind you.
13) Some punches directed at you are from legacies of past generations.
14) Many of your sisters and/or cousins are named Mary, Catherine or Eileen..
15) Someone in your family is very generous. It is more than likely you.
16) You may not know the words, but that doesn't stop you from singing.
17) You can't wait for the other guy to stop talking before you start talking.
18) You're not nearly as funny as you think you are ... but what you lack in
talent, you make up for in frequency.
19) You are, or know someone, named Murph.
20) If you don't know Murph then you know Mac. If you don't know Murph or Mac
then you know Sully.
21) You are genetically incapable of keeping a secret.
22) You have Irish Alzheimer's... you forget everything but the grudges!
23) 'Irish Stew' is a euphemism for 'boiled leftovers.'
24) Your skin's ability to tan.... not so much.
25) At this very moment, you have at least two relatives who are not speaking to
each other (not fighting, mind you, just not speaking to each other)...
26) Childhood remedies for the common cold often included whiskey .
27) There's no leaving a family party without saying goodbye for at least 45
GOD BLESS THE IRISH ! ! !
HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY ! ! !