Monday, March 14, 2011

The Weather Aboveground


Japan has suffered a major earthquake and tsunami. Mother earth is punishing us with what seems like continual catastrophic events.This winter has been unusual. For the first time in a long time I am not anxious to see it go. The weather has been generous and mostly moderate, whereas the rest of the country has been buried in snow or has been flooding after a record number of storms have pounded three quarters of the country.

Napa has enjoyed what might be considered an El Nina year. Santa Ana winds blew up from the south keeping a wonderful high pressure system in tact a few weeks ago. This has prevented storms that usually move down from the Pacific Northwest to continue moving across to Southeast states like Colorado, Wyoming and Utah.

I didn't intend for this to turn into a weather report. but my friend Eric has informed me the the Pacific Northwest with all it’s rain has been getting quite redundant. I’ve been enjoying the rain.I suspect I am in a minority. The picture above is of my friends Dieter and Harrison. This was from the hike we took yesterday from Mt. St. Helena to Calistoga. Innocent enough, but one can see the ominous clouds rolling in from the west.

No comments: