Sunday, February 06, 2011

Super Sunday


Today was another gorgeous day in Calistoga. The temperature was a curious 80 degrees . This is shocking for February, and people around here are waiting for the other shoe to drop.Yesterday I went on a group hike to a place called "Zim Zim Falls " a natural waterfall one valley over from where I live.

Their were around 16 people who opted to go on this 8 mile hike, and about 8 made it to the Falls and back. Plenty of snacks were brought by those who went along. We shared all our "Super Food" as we compared chocolates, powerbars, pumpkin seeds, blueberries and the like. But as you might gather,"Food alone does not a hiker make fit". You have to do the hiking. Uphill, downhill, panting or not. I have a lot more calories to burn off as I type this blog. Even with all the preparation and specialized gear like new boots, a backpack and windbreaker. You still have to put one foot in front of the other and not lag behind. I made sure that i didn't do that. In fact, I got so far out in front that I was scolded for not waiting for the rest of the group to catch up.
My momentum was working and the leader was a little pissed off at me. I felt pretty good at the end of the day and was in fact, grateful for the camaraderie.

The weather today was a repeat of yesterday. More high pressure built in and plenty of blue skies. A lot of folks still opted to stay inside and watch the Super Bowl in front of their wide screen, high res, high def, 3-D Plasma pumping monoliths.

People in Texas were gathering outside the stadium in Arlington watching the matchup between the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Green Bay Packers on similar style Jumbotrons at $200. a head! It was hard not to gloat, making comparisons between our situation and theirs.

Well the Packers won to my delight. I cannot claim any particular loyalty, except that they were slated as the underdogs, and I usually will root for the underdogs especially if someone I don't like is pulling for the opposition.

The problem here is that the people that were hosting the party were Steeler fans, and pretty nice folks. Hopefully they didn't care as much as I didn't care about the final outcome of the game. Besides, we had plenty of fun "dissing" the commercials which were naturally over-the-top, obnoxious and violent.

The party itself was pot luck, so their was plenty of food to nosh on. I had a whole variety of snacks which I am going to have to burn off by exercising at the end of this blog. Yea, right. Another 8 mile hike? I need a week to recoupe.

No comments: