Thursday, February 03, 2011

Locked Out !


The picture above is for my sister Tara. She has been encouraging me to do more landscapes so I drew this picture, scanned it and modified it in Photoshop. This is supposed to be a coastal scene of Russian Gulch, where I collect my Spirit Rocks.
Now onto the blog...

The sun shined brightly today, whereas in Streamwood Illinois, the sun may have been out but a major snow storm hit. My brother reported winds up to 60 mph, and around two feet of fresh snow. Yikes ! I really am counting my blessings and staying grateful for the unseasonably warm weather we have been having here on the west coast.

Speaking of the coast, that is where I went today. Jenner beckoned me with the idea of collecting more rocks for my Spirit Rock enterprise. I arrived around 3:30 PM with a large cloth bag to load about fifty perfectly smooth stones to be painted later. Only four other people were on the beach and around 5:00 PM i had enough rocks and seaside experience to carry me into the evening.Walking back to my car I had quite a load. The bag ending up breaking at the bottom, but no rocks escaped. I just folded it under and carried it like a baby. But when I got to my car i looked inside the window and immediately spotted my keys on the front seat. Shit ! Then came that sinking feeling you get when you realize a situation could become dire very easily.

I cussed some more and began to have racing thoughts. My first thought was to find a wire hanger or something to fish through the window to unlock the door. No such luck. One couple came back from the beach but sadly remarked that they didn't have a hanger and jumped into their car and took off. The next thought was AAA. Luckily, I had my Iphone with me. Not so lucky was that I couldn't get a signal and all my attempts at calling anyone failed. Shit !

I began pray. Some cars were whizzing by on their way up the coast towards Fort Bragg. I didn't want to flag someone down and look like a crazy person by waving my arms near the side of the road. It was getting cold and the sun was beginning to set...fewer cars were driving by. I told myself not to panic, and to listen to my inner guidance. It told me to drop my ego and seek help. So, like a crazy man I began waving my arms. The first truck sped by looking straight ahead. The next Truck slowed to a halt.

" What's up man?" the guy said. Swallowing my pride and told him that my keys were locked inside the car and needed to get in touch with AAA. He laughed and said "Hop in, I will take you to the gas station." He said that this type of thing happens all the time out here. I tried to remain cheerful in spite of an undercurrent of anxiety. We got to the gas station in Jenner and he let me out. Thankfully, the guy inside the convenience store had seen it all before as well. He gave me his cordless phone to call AAA. The operator informed me that It would take around 40 minutes, but to be patient and someone would be by. The store attendent interjected that they will probably send out smiling Dan. I began to wonder who this guy was, and if that was a good thing. Instead of worrying,maybe I should just trust the process and let my Higher Power handle this.

"I put a fresh pot of coffee on if you are interested" said the attendent." Thanks, that sounds like a good idea". so i shelled out a buck-fifty for the coffee and went outside to wait for smiling Dan.The sun began to set, and it was beautiful. Eventually AAA showed up and I got a ride with who I thought was to be smiling Dan. He told me that no, he was not smiling Dan, but was miserable Mark !

I gave a nervous laugh as he just dropped it into first gear and were off.

He looked like a grease monkey and a heavy metal dude ( perhaps a speed freak! ). Then Mark asks if I mind if he plays a little of his music ( I prepared myself for an amped up sample of Metallica ) and was shocked as he turns on a lilting sonnet by Mahler ! The guy digs classical ! Miserable Mark was a tough study, and I think he liked it that way. Long story short, we got to my lonesome vehicle, he was able to unlock the door with a jimmy stick and I was on my way. I thanked him by giving him one of the finished Spirit Rocks and he was most thankful. I signed the form and bid him farewell. Naturally I thanked my Higher Power for all the blessings received.

No comments: