Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Thirty years ago...

I was detoxing in my own apartment on Sutter street in San Francisco. I had already gotten an AA sponsor and had worked the first three steps. I was ready to move on with my life. That same week I gave notice at work for a leave of absence. Two weeks after that I resigned. Unemployment afforded me plenty of time to go to meetings. My first sober job was getting people on tour buses in front of the Hilton Hotel in downtown San Francisco. After about six months on that job, I felt stifiled and began running the hills of San Francisco after work. I would make a meeting every day after my run. This was my time. Gratefully, I have not taken a drink or an unprescribed drug since that time. Much has happened between that time and now, and one thing is certain. I never want to go back to what it was like on my last day as a drunk.

No comments: